Amazon Brand Registry – How it Works and Why You Need It
Amazon Brand Registry is an essential tool for new and veteran brand owners looking to protect their intellectual property and reap the benefits of a trusted brand presence on the Amazon marketplace.
In this post, we will explore the key aspects of Amazon Brand Registry, its significance, and shed light on why you definitely need it to succeed in today’s competitive e-commerce landscape. Furthermore, we will address some common concerns, challenges, and frequently asked questions surrounding Amazon Brand Registry, so you have a comprehensive understanding of the program and its potential impact on your business.
What is Amazon’s brand registry?
The Amazon Brand Registry is a program designed for businesses of all sizes to safeguard their intellectual property rights. Regardless of whether they sell directly on Amazon, participants can activate proactive protections and utilize a variety of tools and features to boost their business. These include reporting intellectual property violations(hijackers, counterfitters etc.), adding A+ Content to the listing, setting up Storefronts, and more.
Do you need a brand registry to sell on Amazon?
You can sell on Amazon without registering your brand. Simply create a seller account and select a plan to begin your sales journey. However, for business owners with intellectual property rights and brands, it’s recommended to enroll in the Brand Registry. This provides specialized tools and resources for brand development, protection and management.
What added value does Amazon brand registry provide me with?
The Amazon Brand Registry offers a suite of tools designed to elevate and protect your brand on the platform:
- Account Protection: The Amazon Brand Registry enables you to submit claims for intellectual property violations or incorrect listings. By doing so, you enhance the automated safeguards designed to protect your brand.
- Control: Empower brand owners with enhanced control over their listing content. The owner of the Brand Registry can edit the text and images of the listing.
- Brand Surveillance: Equip you with tools to oversee your brand’s presence on Amazon.
- Specialized Support: Benefit from a dedicated Amazon internal team that addresses and escalates issues related to incorrect listing contributions, variations, and IP infringement claims.
- Enhanced A+ Content: Gain access to Amazon’s A+ Content, enhancing your product listings with meticulously crafted descriptions, compelling videos, and vivid images for a more comprehensive customer experience
- Amazon Storefronts: Secure access to Amazon Stores, enabling you to showcase your brand across multiple dedicated pages, for example: Victoria’s Secret storefront.
- Targeted Advertising: Boost your brand’s visibility through advanced ad campaigns, including Sponsored Brands and Sponsored Display ads.
- Amazon Live Interaction: Engage and connect with potential customers in real-time via Amazon Live.
- Amazon Vine Participation: Enlist your brand in the Amazon Vine Program to garner authentic product reviews from real clients.
How do I know if my Amazon Brand registry was successfully registered?
As a first step- make sure that your attorney has filed the trademark, and provided you with an application number. About 7 days after such filing, you can go ahead and file a request to join the Brand Registry.
After obtaining the Brand Registry, you will receive a ‘Welcome to the Brand Registry’ email from Amazon. This can be viewed in the ‘Brands’ tab within Seller Central.
How does Amazon’s brand registry protect me against counterfeiting?
Amazon Brand Registry provides various tools and features to help brands proactively protect against counterfeits. Here are some of the key ways Brand Registry safeguards brands:
- Automated Protection System
Amazon implements predictive protections using advanced machine learning that automatically prevent potentially counterfeit listings from being published, based on data provided about the brand, products, and intellectual property.
- Violation Reporting and Removal Tools
Brand Registry allows brands to easily search Amazon’s catalog and report potential trademark, copyright, patent, and design rights infringements through advanced reporting tools. Reporting violations also improves the automated protection system.
- Dedicated Brand Support
Brands receive assistance from Amazon’s team to help resolve issues related to technical problems, listing violations, marketplace policy violations, and more.
- Amazon’s Neutral Patent Evaluation Program(NPEP):
Brands can access faster and less expensive patent dispute resolution compared to court through neutral third-party evaluators. Decisions are enforced in Amazon’s US store.
- Performance Insights
An impact dashboard provides insights into how shared brand information is used to proactively protect the brand and remove potentially counterfeit listings.
- Brand Protection Resources
Educational resources and FAQs provide tips and guides on using Brand Registry features to fully leverage its brand protection capabilities.
Can I apply for an Amazon Brand Registry without a trademark?
Having a valid trademark is essential for meeting the Amazon Brand Registry requirements. This means that your brand must have a live application or registration issued and active on the trademark register in the country where you wish to enroll or have a pending trademark application.
Need assistance with your brand registry? Allow our expert team of lawyers to guide you – Contact Us.
How do I obtain a trademark for my brand?
Filing a trademark is a complex and professional process, typically undertaken with the assistance of lawyers. In the US, if you are neither an American nor possess a US company, you are required to use a US attorney to file a trademark. The submission preparation process includes the following steps:
- Conduct a professional trademark search through to make sure that the trademark will not be rejected.
- Determine the trademark class.
- Draft the list of goods in the category, for which the trademark will be filed.
- Prepare and submit the trademark application.
- Go through the Trademark examination process, and work with Examiner to overcome their objections.
- Publication and opposition.
- Trademark registration.
It is important to note that the specific process and requirements for obtaining a trademark may vary depending on the country in which you are seeking protection. It is always advisable to consult with a trademark attorney or refer to the official resources provided by the relevant trademark office for accurate and up-to-date information.
How long does it take to complete the Amazon Brand Registration Process?
The approval timeline for Amazon’s Brand Registry can vary depending on factors such as the completeness and accuracy of the information provided during enrollment, as well as any potential issues that arise during the review process.
In most cases, a seller can file a request for Brand Registry about 7 days after the trademark application is filed with the USPTO, assuming it’s a US trademark.
Through Amazon’s brand registry, you can establish and maintain a trusted brand identity, ensuring that customers can easily find and purchase genuine products from you. The program also enables you to protect your intellectual property rights and take swift action against infringing sellers. If you’re serious about growing your Amazon business, Amazon Brand Registry is the way to go.